- Do you use a toothpaste that contains fluoride? If NO- give yourself 12 points.
- Do you drink beverages that contain sugar, or add sugar, to drinks such as coffee or tea more than 3 times a day? If YES- give yourself 12 points.
- Have you had more than 2 new cavities in the past 3 years? If YES- give yourself 14 points.
- Do you snack on candy or other sugary foods more than twice a day? If YES- give yourself 12 points.
- Have you lost a tooth in the last 3 years due to decay? If YES- give yourself 12 points.
- Do you brush your teeth less than twice a day? If YES- give yourself 8 points.
- Does the water you drink and cook with contain fluoride? If NO- give yourself 8 points.
- Do you have your teeth cleaned at least once a year by a dentist or dental hygienist? If NO- give yourself 7 points.
- Do you take any medicines that make your mouth dry or is your mouth dry as a result of radiation therapy or some other condition? If YES- give yourself 7 points.
- Do you clean between your teeth with dental floss or interproximal brush at least once a day? If NO- give yourself 6 points.
- Is it uncomfortable to brush areas where your gums have receded? If YES- give yourself 4 points.
Total your score. If your score is 30 points or more you may be at a higher risk for tooth decay. The best way to help prevent tooth decay is to brush with a toothpaste containing fluoride, floss daily, avoid beverages and snacks that contain refined carbs such as sugar, and have regular cleanings with one of our highly trained hygienists and periodic exams with Dr. Powell.
Our goal at Asheville Dental Care is to provide our patients with quality dental care. Starting patients with helpful instruction on their oral health can prevent future issues. (Most of the time inconvenient and costly.)